pdfing the whole thing

Matijs van Zuijlen Matijs.van.Zuijlen at XS4ALL.NL
Thu Nov 29 12:18:01 CET 2001

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 06:58:37AM +0000, Paul L. Ming wrote:
> Hiya.
>
> >HTML version would be quite nice easy to convert to other formats.
>
>   I agree. Getting the scan into HTML is my method of operation. Much easier
> to manipulate in HTML (being an ex-web designer guy), and conversion to PDF
> seems to be pretty decent. I have Adobe Acrobat 4 to create PDF's (a program
> left over from my web-designing days), so you may see some scans from me
> later on. :)
>
> ^_^

OK, here's how our system works now: The source is in XML format, since
this can be converted even more easily. Since 'pretty decent' is not good
enough for us perfectionists, we use XSLT to convert it to LaTeX, which is
then converted to DVI, PS and PDF using latex, dvips and dvipdfm. I have
started on XSLT code to do the conversion to HTML, but it's pretty complex,
since the cross-references have to be good, with the correct numbers and
stuff, and this is my first stab at XSLT.

The problems with the earlier PDF files have been noted, and seem to have
disappeared.

As to making all this vailable for public download: That may not be a good
idea, since it seems the rules are still officially owned by Hasbro. As
some of you know, they have agreed to allow circulation of limited edition
cd-roms, and would probably allow me to send PDF files to you by e-mail.

Below is the README file I made to go with our source code. Most people go
for version 2.

Matijs.

-------

This is the source tree for creating electronic versions of the Powers and
Perils books. The copyright for `Powers and Perils' is probably owned by
Hasbro. This source code is for private use only!

Currently, the following versions can be created:

Version 0: This is the text as it originally appeared in the printed books.
This version is not complete; Several useless tables are missing. Also, its
layout may at times seem weird. We have tried to reproduce even the typos
in the original, but this is not guaranteed.

Version 1: This is the original text (version 0), with errata corrected.
These are the errata that have appeared in print, plus the Snider/Koponen
errata. Nothing was changed (as far as possible) that fell outside the
scope of the errata. This includes typos and incorrect calculations. Even
calculations that were wrong in the errata were reproduced. The S/K errata
could at some point be separated quite easily from the published errata.

Version 2: This is version 1, with the following changes: All sections,
tables and pictures got captions. All references were made explicit (e.g.,
table 4.1, rather than the table below). Typos and calculations were
corrected. Part (most?) of the published P&P extensions were incorporated
in the text, and some sections from later books were included (most
notably, more details on Elves, Faerries and Dwarves referenced in the
Common Knowledge section).

Version 3: This is the Amsterdam P&P players' group house version, which
includes specific changes to and interpretations of version 2. Some errata
introduced in version 1 are reverted to their original in this version.