[pnpgm] Update #39 – Varo

Bessie Hadley eleabess at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 30 18:34:28 CET 2023

[Personal note first: I got my eye injection, so vision a little better - I was having vertigo from the double-vision caused by the distortion of the retinal area in my left eye - very hard to see with a line showing up as doubled -one line straight & the other curved weirdly & both crossing over each other (- my poor brain trying to put it all together) - you get dizzy & headaches from trying to see. But better now; distortion still there, but improved - can at least see some things fairly normally in that eye now. Sorry I missed last update. - Nice story!]

Varo hears the alarm from Mournath from her spot near the horses, where she has been brushing down Duster & the other horses after a hard day’s work pulling carts.

She can see the creatures coming, but has no idea what they are. She decides to cast Detect Traps, wondering if that spell might give any information on anything possibly dangerous about them. She sends off a prayer to Ernalda as she looks, a bit horrified by the creatures’ heads & tentacles: “Oh mighty Earth Queen – what are these things coming towards us? Be with us & help keep the balance. If they are – or are NOT dangerous, let us know quickly – for everyone’s sakes! Be with us now & guide us into wisdom & safely deliver your children.”

She thinks to herself – “Maybe creatures of the sea? Does that make them deadly?” She prepares her bow for firing, even as she prays, and moves behind her horse for cover as she draws & readies her bow for firing, looking at the two closest targets. She will hold off actually firing until her spell has results, then call out to everyone any information the spell might provide (hidden weapons, poison, speed, or no traps seen?), then she will fire at the closest one, if firing at the creature IS warranted.

Bess L. Hadley