[pnpgm] Game Update # 39 - File #236 - Swamp of Despair (get reference?)

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Tue Jan 17 22:24:08 CET 2023

[Cut/paste from openoffice did not go thorugh so
this is a notepad cut/paste it may remove
formatting/tabs so view on site if needed ike map]

Sex.....Character Name...Player..................Type....Not	es.....
Male...Klorgar..........Tobie.Bonahoom...Tracker...Human,..........
Female.Varo Mineholder..Bess.Hadley......Merchant..Human...........
Male...Razgor...........Wout.Broere......Guard.....Human...........
Male...Rocky............Alex.Koponen.....Hunter....Dwarf...........
Male...Mournath.........Gilbert.Isla...............................
Male...Veren.Nor.Tarek..Npc..............Employer..Human...........
Male...Jaren............Npc..............Bodyguard.Human...........
Male...Marusk...........Npc..............Guide.....Human...........
Male...Juno.Solace......Ford.............Tracker...Human...........

	Game Web Site ­ http:/nrgcomputers.com/RQ/rq.htm (case matters)
	Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

	Game Update #39 sequence (file #237)
	Admin Note: None

	   From Bess: [Re: Holidays]
		lol - a bad spell!

		I've been dealing with a series of storms here
- power out last night all night (winds above
60mph & trees going down everywhere here in
Sacramento County). It was another dark & stormy
night... Another storm with 50-60mph winds is due
tonight & into Monday morning (about the 4th in
series of atmospheric-river storms since the New
Year) - might lose power again. [we had over
325,000 homes without power this morning - that's
half the County's SMUD customers; they put out
double the # of crews today & did awesome work -
down to only 29,000 still out.]

		I also have 2 MD appts this week - one Tuesday
(should be between storms so just hope no roads
blocked to get there since creeks around there) &
one on Friday (eye appt - having trouble again).
At least there's usually a 12-hour break between
storms, so can get the trash out (when vertigo
from storm fronts & my vision problem let me take it out)

		So I'm in no rush to even respond to last
posting; been kinda distracted here.

		Sorry, Scott. I sincerely hope your eye(s)
getting better - vision troubles are no fun!
	   GM: Ack.  Thanks.  I'll post more on it
below.  I hope the storms treat you well.  No
flooding or such.  I hope you are safe.

	[Freezeday, Movement week, Storm Season, 1625, Genertela, Glorantha]

	   The party heads out to the north and
NW.  Close to the shore only a few miles west of
the ocean at most times.  Those who went to the
volcanic island speak of the men in robes.  They
show off their scars in exchange for a full
healing they can live with a small scar.  The
fishing village feed and water the horses, what
horses are left.  The humble fishermen give
plenty of fish and water plants for the party to
munch on for the next couple days.  Only a few
females are seen but they explain many of the
families actually live about 2 miles inland, not
on the water.  Too many storms and hostile sea
creatures snake onto land.  It is a very
dangerous job with most sailors not living past their 3rd decade of life.

	   Many cults figure the gods just left the
oceans a hotbed of chaos.  While the land was
somewhat tamed and made orderly the oceans were
not.  Some people believe no man will ever sail
further than a dozen miles from any shore.  So
this starts legends and myths of far off places and forces of nature.

	   The path is not much more than a gravel road
or a well worn grass path through the 40 miles of
forest. At times it is slightly flooded but
passable.  At this point Marusk is unfamiliar
territory.  He explains he has been in this part
of the region only once but he was to guide the
party to a village he knew existed or at least existed then.

			-------------------

	[Waterday, Movement week, Storm Season, 1625, Genertela, Glorantha]

	   Indeed the day is for the water runes and
gods.  The forest is almost humid enough to be a
light jungle but it retains its forest nature
with some hills and cliffs every so often.

	[Time: 12:%5 pm]

	   The party has stopped for lunch eating the
last of the fresh bread and fish.  But they have
1 more possible fishing village a couple hours
out where they might stock up on
supplies.  Little trade or barter is done here
and they do not take coins.  It is a true use
what you capture society so not to profit.  A
generous group of fishermen who is willing to share.

	   As the horses eat their grass the party
gather up their items for the horses and
wagon.  Suddenly Varo gasps and points just above
the tree line on a cliff of a medium sized hill
is a creature.  To the west it sits on the side
of a cliff ledge with some of its body on a tree
that is probably 80 feet high.  The creature is a
Cliff Toad.  But this is no small toad, its the
size of a small pony. As the party watch it a
small seagull flies by about 10 feet or so maybe
7-8 feet its hard to tell.  The toad opens its
mouth and a long red tongue flicks out and grabs
the seagull. The bird struggles but is drawn
closer to the toad maw like a fish on a fishing
pole.  The toad then swallows it whole.

	   Marusk shivers a bit, “a cliff toad I've
never seen but have heard of. They are mostly
harmless unless a large group of them then it might be a sticky situation.”

	   The party moves out and eventually ends up at
the next and last fishing village.  The elder
fishermen give the party a large marlin like fish
that will feed the party for a couple days.  They
give some herbs and vegetables but the bread is a bit stale but welcome.

	   Marusk asks about the terrain ahead.  A elder
fisherman maybe in his late 30s (a rare old age
here) says, “Some 15-18 miles north is a marsh
that is passable this time of year.  It is about
18 or so square miles but goes further north
another 20 or 30 miles. To west of marsh are
hills and mountains.  Not very tall mountains.”

	   Marusk asks about the village Veren speaks of
and if knew of the estate Veren speaks of.

	   Elder speaks, “The village I know of can give
you general landmarks but this estate don't know
of.  I could show you a sketch of where to move
in the marsh.  Granted as water rise from the
ocean those paths can be destroyed.  But mostly they remain intact.”

	   Since its only mid afternoon the party moves
north.  Marusk talks to Veren about the
path.  “Marsh may be best route as mountains
would increase our travel time.  Though marsh will be boggy and buggy.”

	   Veren does a quick mental calculation of the
current day and how long it might take the
party.  He nods, “still rather be sooner than
later.  So we'll go the marsh route.”

	   That night nothing happens and the marsh is
only a couple miles north of the party at the campsite.

				------------------

	[Clayday, Movement week, Storm Season, 1625, Genertela, Glorantha]

	   The party enters the humid and sticky
marsh.  The swamp is indeed vast with few areas
of dense trees.  As warned the bugs of all types
from ants to flying hand sized wasps are seen
buzzing around party.  Some grumble about the
wasteland conditions but many in their militia
duties have been in worse spots.  The party makes
12 or so miles moving toward the mountains in the
north west.  But the party camps that night with
no encounters just snakes and bugs.

			---------------

	[Windsday, Movement week, Storm Season, 1625, Genertela, Glorantha]

	   Another day in the swamp brings a slew of
bugs that seem to crawl down pants leg and up to
the most sensitive parts.  The party moves as
quickly as a walking ground with some horses can
do.  Unlike rivers where camps are generally made
the marsh is one giant squishy boggy mess.  So it
is difficult to make a camp within at most 50
feet.  Sentries have to be wary of gators who can get on shore fast.

	[Time: 7:11 pm[

	   That night camp is made with a couple trees
used to tire the horses up onto.  Firewood is
collected ­ though there in swamp most are damp
materials ­ is collected and a fire rages as
night falls.  Dinner has been cooked with a small
rabbit captured a few hours earlier.  Everyone is
still up, alert and geared up.

	   Klorgar, Juno and Mournath have sentry
duty.  A 3rd one to be safe from swamp
beasts.  As tents are made ­ a luxury to avoid
the bugs ­ are just being setup up as dinner is finished.

	   Noises of water hitting the land is very
common here so listening for an animal to come
ashore is harder than it seems.  The noise is too
common to be more annoying than giving
warning.  But when the noise is a bit longer and
louder is when the alert level rises.  The first
to see them is Klorgar then Juno.  From the west
noises are  heard.  A few seconds later large
forms in the darkness is seen.  As the forms
enter the dim light of the campfire revulsion
crosses the faces of those who see them.

	   The creatures have the body of a human fully
naked but no hair.  But the head is that of a
slimy slithering sea creature.  Some have seen
these creature wash up on the beach after a
storm.  They look like a squid of some kind.  The
head has two eyes a beak like snout and 8
writhing tentacles.  They lumber toward the arty
from the darkness all four of them at this point
are seen.  They should be in melee range any
second and weapons can be grabbed quickly.  The
creature human arms do not carry weapons.  A
cropped map is in links at bottom of game site of
area.  Red line (hope it shows) is path going NW.

	GM: Actions? Comments?

		Next update ­ Next Week? Maybe Monday?

	GM: A new year already off to a feisty
speed.  Always so busy this time of year with
docs and taxes and such.  Got like 4-5 doc visits
in next 2 months alone. But it seems to happen
every year.  So we are very close to ending
adventure. Hopefully this will be last encounter
for those who not been reading like Tobie or
such.  Hopefully they'll have time to read the
final part. So for this encounter assuming anyone
fights or talks peace all are awake, armed and
armorered.  Due to time of event.  Those not on
sentry are sitting around campfire relaxing before night sleep time.

	GM: Map -

  	    /I\ = North   1 Hex = 10 feet, 1 column/row = 5 feet

          1         2         3
12345678901234567890123456789012345
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_ A
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  B ** = Campfire= L23/L24
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_ C
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  D  K = Klorgar  [H14]
/1 \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_ E  V = Varo     [N29]
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  F  R = Razgar   [I23]
/2 \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_ G  D = Rocky    [K28]
\__/  \__/  \K_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  H  M = Mournath [O15]
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \R_/  \__/  \_ I  E = Veren    [M23]
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  J  N = Jaren    [M24]
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  D__/  \_ K  U = Marusk   [L21]
\__/  \__/  \__/  \_U/**\__/  \__/  L  J = Juno     [S29
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \EN/  \__/  \_ M
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/V \__/  N  H = Horses tied to tree
/3 \__/  \__/ M\__/  \__/HH\__/  \_ O      O/P 26/27
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \HH/  \__/  P
/4 \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_ Q  1 = Creature #1 [E2]
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \J_/  \_ S  3 = Creature #3 [O2]

Campfire ­ 100% 1-3 hexes 75% 4  50$ -5 25%-6 10%-7+ hexes

90% of map 8s flat dry
Only a couple trees a few chest high bushes
Water ­ brook/stream level column -5+ so 5 columns west of map
Stream/brook winds south to north then winds to North East
Stream/Brook more a open glade in large spots.